Monday, November 16, 2009

Learning from Nature and Nurture

The Nature versus Nurture Theory explains how humans learn and integrate information. Based on the nature aspect, individuals are genetically born with attributes and your heredity plays a major role in how you live your life. The nurture side posits that your experiences are a product of your environment. It's difficult to pigeon-hole your personality, beliefs, patterns of behavior, and other holistic circumstances and sensory experiences into one or the other. Often a combination of genetic predisposition and learned behavior create the foundation for the life circumstances and roles you ultimately play out. Consider your predominant thoughts, feelings, actions, and connections with others. Which personality traits, relationships, and reactions to life events stem from an inherent, instinctual genetic pool, and which ones have you responded to based on knowledge or wisdom gained through external means? By identifying where your feelings, thoughts, and behaviors originate, you can honor them more as your own or something you've attached to but don't really identify with. Make sure what you're thinking, feelings, doing, and sensing comes from your true self, whether you were born with it or utilized integrated environmental information.

I honor myself and my life experiences as my own. Both my genetics and the environment play a role in the life I live. I acknowledge my thoughts, feelings, actions, and relationships as part of my true self. I detach with what no longer serves me or my purpose. I am confident and genuine with who I am and how I live my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment