Thursday, September 3, 2009

Comparing Your Relationship Partner to Parents

Have you ever compared or contrasted your romantic partner with either your mother or father, i.e. your husband with your father or your wife with your mother? Your family of origin can have strong influences (both good and bad) on your values, beliefs, personality, and even the foods that you enjoy. When you develop a commitment with someone special, you may inadvertently take notes and compare that person with the way your mom or dad did things. Making comments like, "I'll only eat chocolate cake that my mom bakes!" or "My dad could easily fix that!" can be hurtful to your partner and create tension in your relationship. It's important to think prudently before your verbalize or act on your reflexive sentiments. The relationship you are in now is the one you need to foster, feed with happiness, and continue to evolve. Be open to different perspectives and approaches from your partner, even if they vary greatly from what you've been accustomed to since you were a child.



I honor the romantic relationship with my partner as our own. I am open to receiving all the good my partner has to offer. New experiences and delights come to our relationship now. I release past hurts from my family of origin dynamics and now focus my current relationship intentions on good, love, and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment